Saturday, June 4, 2011

Healthy habits.

I've read articles that say emotional health, physical health, mental health, and spiritual health are all linked. Theoretically, it makes sense, but I never really took it seriously until about two weeks ago.

Often when I feel spiritually stagnant, I re-dedicate myself to daily scripture study and more earnest prayer. I make goals, I keep track of them, and I feel a lot better about myself for a little while until eventually I slip back into stagnancy again, and subsequently wonder what has happened to me.

But maybe I was approaching it the wrong way. A couple weeks ago, I decided to use a more well-rounded approach. Every day I want to read and study the scriptures, offer sincere prayer, eat two or three [healthy] meals, get at least six hours of sleep, drink eight glasses of water, write (or draw, or compose) something creatively expressive, meditate for a few minutes, clean/tidy my room, and exercise. That's nine daily goals. It gives me a lot more to pay attention to and to be accountable for. I find I feel a lot better about life when I do all nine of them.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this new method of mine. Everyone gets depressed. Everyone gets lazy. Everyone feels unhealthy once in a while. Maybe one of you readers could benefit from doing something like this. I think it's helping me, at least.

Like I said, it's only been a couple of weeks. And I've missed a day here, a day there. So my results are far from conclusive. But once I get these things to be regular, consistent habits, I expect to be a lot healthier in every way.
Post a Comment